Monday, September 16, 2024

Life starts with love

Hi Min,

Can I rewrite this letter? It would be nice if we could correct all our mistakes or edit our journey, but unfortunately, we can’t undo the past. I’m on an 18-hour and 40-minute flight from Singapore to New York—one of the longest flights in the world. With this long flight time, you usually witness two sunrises and sunsets along the way. Where are you, Min? I’m still waiting for you to come back. Khaled Hosseini said, "Of all the hardships a person has to face, none is more punishing than the simple act of waiting."

After discussing with Ara, we decided to move to another city, even though it's difficult for her to leave Costa Rica. We feel exhausted from the long flights, though this one was comfortable. Singapore Airlines provides a world-class experience for its passengers—the food was delicious, and the cabin crew is among the best in the world. The interior design of the cabin is superb. My twin toddlers like this aircraft, which makes it challenging to get them to sleep. They are very energetic.

I prefer Johannesburg or Durban. They are cities with significant business opportunities, but with Mpox currently spreading globally, I don't want to take any risks. I would love to stay and enjoy Latin American culture, but visiting my in-laws requires another long flight. I'm not keen on staying in Europe, particularly because of concerns about racism and ethnocentrism. You know what I mean. I want to experience new demographics that I haven’t encountered before. I’d only visit Europe for family vacations. 

Let’s skip the topic of rooftops and bird chirping. It will just be a memorable memory in a few months. Bird chirping isn’t extraordinary, but it becomes special when someone you love appreciates that sound. Every time I hear it, it reminds me of my phone calls with her. She is a seatherny, and I follow in her footsteps. We tend to love what our loved ones cherish. Simple things matter the most. She is the story I never want to end, the love story I enjoy writing. Her soul is eternally intertwined with mine.

Maybe the Almighty didn’t intend for our destinies to be together. Perhaps the quote, "Sometimes you have to accept that some people’s part in your story is over," is true, but moving on is even harder. This love is sweet, and I’m addicted to her, just as she is to me. When we appreciate someone's qualities, we admire them. When we accept their flaws, it’s because we love them. She has hurt me, and I’ve hurt her, but our love never faded; it grows more vibrant with each passing day. Life starts with love.

I keep playing and replaying "Thinking Out Loud" by Ed Sheeran. It’s the first song she gave me after our breakup. Honestly, Min, when I hear this song, I enjoy the lyrics. I always believe that when a woman gives a man a song she likes, he should pay attention to the lyrics. I didn’t expect her to miss me, think about me, or remember me until she gave me this song (I was the one who asked what song she was listening to). Then I realized she misses me but is trying to hide her longing.


San Jose, Costa Rica
05-09-2024