Sunday, September 22, 2024

My bad

Hi Mak,

I wish I could turn back time and never searched for you. It would have been better to watch from a distance, seeing your family happy. When I entered your life, you lost yours, and I can’t forgive myself for that. I’ve felt the weight of a heavy burden ever since. It hangs over me constantly.

Mak Ucu often mentioned how much you wanted to meet my sweetheart back then. You were eager to have a daughter-in-law. I wanted to bring her to see you, but it always felt like “the best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry.” Things always fall apart from what I planned.

You left me, and she did too. Every man dreams of introducing his special someone to his parents, but I never had that chance. She found someone else and seems genuinely happy, and while I feel sad, I’m also glad for her. It's hard to let go, but her happiness matters most.

Instead of taking Ara to Singapore to meet Mak Ucu, I brought Mak Ucu to KL to meet Ara. I didn’t want to travel with her; the journey felt too long, and I didn’t feel right bringing her out of town. Ara is very close to Mak Ucu; they often talk on the phone for long stretches.


September 1, 2024
Johor Bahru, Johor Darul Ta'zim