Wednesday, October 02, 2024

Back to family

After nearly two weeks away, it feels wonderful to be back home. I deeply miss my eldest daughter, who is pursuing her dream of becoming a doctor on campus in the USA, a six-hour flight from JFK in New York. Her empty seat at the dining table serves as a poignant reminder of her absence. I know that, one by one, my kids will leave to further their studies and careers, making home feel different. Yet, the warmth of our family will always remain, even as they spread their wings.

Yesterday, my wife, Ara, prepared a special meal that was a feast for the senses: bird's nest soup garnished with goji berries, steamed arowana with ginger and scallions, and stir-fried seasonal vegetables like asparagus, shiitake mushrooms, and baby bok choy, lightly tossed in sesame oil. She also made a chilled cucumber salad and finished with mango pudding for dessert, all accompanied by jasmine tea. After my time away, this meal felt like a warm welcome home.

I returned home to rest after losing nearly 10 kilos and sustaining minor shoulder injuries at work. My quadruplets were thrilled to see me. My heavy beard, reminiscent of James Harden's, startled Luqman and Hasha, who ran away, refusing to let me hug them. Raysha was more welcoming, enjoying the chance to touch my beard, while Daneal approached me without hesitation, eagerly asking if I had brought him any toys. It's great to be back with my kids.